Green Proper Award 2016 for TMMIN Karawang Plant
PT. Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indonesia (TMMIN) was awarded the Corporate Performance Rating Program which called PROPER Award 2016 on Wednesday, December 27, 2016. The award was given direclty by Ms. Siti Nurbaya, Minister of Environment and Forestry to Mr. Warih Andang Tjahjono , Vice President Director of TMMIN.
The Proper Award is a government program launched two decades ago on the assessment of company performance ratings in environmental management. This PROPER assessment aims to encourage industry compliance with environmental regulations. In addition PROPER also aims to encourage industry to apply the principles of green economy, namely energy efficiency, water efficiency, emission reduction, biodiversity protection, and reduce economic disparities by implementing community empowerment programs.
There are two levels mechanism of PROPER assessment :
- The first level, compliance check includes aspects of environmental permits, water pollution control, air pollution control, hazardous and toxic waste management (B3), and potential land damage (specifically for Mining activities).
- The second level, an out-of-compliance check that is dynamic because it is adjusted to technological developments, the application of best environmental management practices and global environmental issues.
At PROPER 2016, TMMIN managed to get Green level for Karawang Plant # 1 & # 2, through the following activities:
- Application of Green Manufacturing through environmentally friendly processes, regulatory compliance and resource conservation.
- Green Logistic through reducing CO2 emissions from transportation and reducing the use of packaging materials and increasing the use of recycled packaging.
- Green Purchasing by socializing Toyota's environmental policy to suppliers, improving supplier environmental performance with the main activities of ICO 14001 Certification, and supervising the prohibition of the use of materials containing hazardous chemicals or SoC (Substance of Concern).
- Toyota implements Green Office by developing environmentally friendly work areas, promoting environmental activities to Toyota employees and stakeholders, and collaborating with communities around Toyota's business area.